Give me more basics and less frills when buying a new car

Recent research from the AA shows that a large amount (86%) of drivers want car manufacturers to simply go back to providing quality basics and focus less emphasis on unnecessary expensive options. When reviewing the latest new vehicle offerings coming in later this year and early next, I have been astounded by the tremendous array of technology being installed and the immense extra options that will be included, or being offered at an additional cost, to current car/van buyers. Do we really need a car that can parallel park for us (my hard work perfecting that may now be in vain?) or one with touch screen satellite navigation systems and state of the art media centres? Perhaps these features are what will now be needed to sell more autos, but I manage just fine without them. When I am ready to buy a new car, I am not sure I will feel so giddy about paying more for features that I do not want or may not use, wishing they could be removed so I can pay less for my new vehicle. The AA research shows that many motorists feel the same way, explaining that many car models now deny us once standard, practical features like two reversing lights and a temperature gauge. Andy Smith, AA patrol of the year, says: “While customers benefit from the savings that the manufacturers can pass on by removing some of these (basic) features, our members tell us it’s gone too far on some models and they want practical over frills. The AA also found that some motorists would perform routine maintenance checks less often if their car had current advanced engine management or other warning systems. The article, found on the AA's newsroom website, lists the top 10 features drivers would happily do without. Please visit the AA website to view this list and to read more about the AA/Populus poll results on this subject here. What do you think about all of the latest gizmos and gadgets occupying our modern vehicles?

Comments