The cost and stress of passing the MOT test

It’s nearing that time of year again, my car is due for its MOT and I am beginning to feel a bit of anxiety about whether or not she, (yes, my car is definitely a she) my best mate on 4 wheels, will pass with flying colours. I do believe I have prepped her with all she needs to pass the examination, but still worry that it may not have been enough. Have I failed her by not buying her the most expensive shoes (tyres) or maybe the last mechanic wasn’t just trying to make me spend more money than I needed to at her last servicing and I should have gone for their top of the line air filter and super deluxe spark plugs. Oh dear, is it too late?

In 1960 the MOT was introduced by the then Ministry of Transport to check that vehicles were safe and roadworthy and although we know its benefits, why does it still cause motorists who own vehicles over 3 years old with such stress?  A Halfords Autocentres study* has uncovered the reasons why they think more than 1 million vehicles won’t pass their annual certificate of roadworthiness first time.

The study revealed that factors such as lack of knowhow and of course, money contribute highly to failure rates. I do agree with the respondents in that some of the new vehicle technology can be difficult to fully comprehend and with the price of servicing our vehicles ever rising, sometimes things can fall through the cracks when it comes to staying on top of maintaining our autos. But, by ignoring a little niggle here or there; this can contribute to the stress and the cost of failing an MOT.

The survey also found that one in five motorists had been dealt a whopping three figure repair bill for work needing to be done before the vehicle can be granted an MOT certificate.  A good many of us just cannot afford that should it happen during our MOT test. Hopefully with a bit of pre planning and regular servicing, your vehicle stands a better chance of passing first time. I have found a helpful post and MOT checklist from Confused.com to help in preparation for your next MOT test. You can view it by clicking here.

To read more on Halfords survey, please click here to see the full article titled “MOTORISTS’ MAINTENANCE DODGING SEES MOT FAILURE RATES SOAR”.

 

 

 

*Research study data was gathered by Your Say Pays from 1,100 UK drivers during January 2013.

Comments