IAM's top tips on commuting to work

It’s staying dark longer now in the mornings. When the alarm rings aloud at 6am, wakes me from my slumber, I look out the window and sigh deeply at the thought of another work day ahead.  It’s colder now too, so I pray that the heating in my old car (I failed to find a new one last week) works its warming magic for the drive in to work. The commute isn’t too far, but as cold as it has been, I wish there were no dress codes on the days I go into the office and that I can simply declare my dressing gown as this month’s new business “vogue” attire. Hey, I’ve seen worse. Mine’s not so much girly as it is warm, fluffy, and a tad bit fashionable if I do say so myself.

Ahem, speaking of commutes, I read the latest motoring advice from the road safety charity IAM this week and the latest safety advice is a good one to share.  As it’s the beginning of a long work week, the morning rush will bring many delivery vans and van fleets dispatched upon the city roads; along with parents doing the school run and the likes of me commuting to the office, so take a look at what Britain’s top advanced driver, Peter Rodger is advising on this week.  It is of course, all about commuting to work.

IAM chief examiner Peter Rodger said: “Always leave enough time to get to work so you’re not rushing unnecessarily. Traffic is bad every day – being late on those grounds isn’t an excuse. If you do get held up in traffic on the way to work, don’t rush. Pull over if you need to let anybody know, but remember it’s better to arrive late than never.”

Here are his other top tips:

  • Rush hour is when the most vulnerable road users are about – walking to school or cycling to work. Give both children and cyclists plenty of room.

  • During your evening commute, there will be children out playing after school.

  • Familiar routes are the ones we get most careless about – keep your attention on the road.  Try to be as professional about the journey as you are about your work.

  • Commuting is a problem because everyone travels at the same time. People get tired and frustrated and can behave impulsively – be ready for the actions of road users around you.

  • Learn an alternative route or two in case of an accident or road closure  - listening to the traffic updates on the radio can help keep you in control of your journey

  • Check the weather before you travel; heavy rain usually slows traffic up, so leave a few minutes earlier, or allow for being a little later getting home.

  • Using your car to commute to work means you are especially reliant on it working. Regularly check your tyre pressures and condition, washer fluid, lights and oil.


Thanks again to the IAM and Peter Rodger for the always pertinent driving tips and advice. To view more of the IAM’s motoring advice and services, please click here. Hopefully, you and I will have an easy stress free drive to work this week.

Comments