Volvo unveil all-new XC90 from the inside out



Although my number one passion is vans, I also love all things motor related too, especially SUVs. I just read the latest press release for one of the most anticipated car launches to date – Volvo’s all-new XC90 – begins today. When the original XC90 was launched in 2002, it was said to have revolutionised the SUV segment with its combination of space, versatility and safety. I really considered getting myself one of these seven-seater 4x4 SUVs quite a few years ago and thought they were a decently priced model. Of course, reason ruled over heart, as I had no need for seven seats (unmarried, no kids) or the off road features, so I went for a more practical option. But, when I saw news of a newly revised XC90, my interest was instantly piqued (I do have a few dogs now).

So what do Volvo reveal about the new Swedish designed luxury SUV?  Volvo’s launch programme starts with teasing consumers by only providing us with a first glimpse of the luxurious car interior and will gradually continue to release further features until the full external reveal sometime in August. I can’t wait. Volvo have said that the interior materials include a combination of soft leather and wood with handcrafted details including a gear lever made of crystal glass from Orrefors, the famous Swedish glass maker, and diamond-cut controls for the start/stop button and volume control.

The most striking feature is a tablet-like touch screen control console, which forms the heart of an all-new in-car control system,” said Thomas Ingenlath, Senior Vice President Design of Volvo Cars. “This system is virtually button free and represents an entirely new way for drivers to control their car and access a range of Internet-based products and services.”

Ok, so far we only know that the interior is going to be stunning, but the XC90 has been around a long time now and Volvo cars have a fairly good overall reputation. Although some have criticised previous XC90's for not being modern enough, it still continues to sell well and has a hardcore loyal fan base. With these latest tech upgrades and a refined interior, it just may have launched itself way ahead the pack in terms of modernisation. But will it drive well or be fuel efficient enough to tear us away from its popular rivals? We will have to wait to see if the whole package is as good as the interior, when the full reveal happens in August. In the meantime, I've posted a few pictures of the new interior from Volvo's press release. Tell me what you think of the new XC90 so far. Comment on the blog or via my Twitter page.

 

Comments