The new driving test?

Most of us have been there – that daunting moment when you get behind the wheel of a car and hope that you pass your test. The latter half of 2015 marked a change in the way that future driving students could pass – and I must admit, I wish I could have sat this test.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) introduced a trial for a new driving test that can better assess if someone is a safe driver or not. So over the last few months, the DVSA has allowed 2,000 – 3,000 learners to try the new test. The trial is scheduled to end in the spring.

So what does it mean for future learners if the trial takes over the current test? Well, I have compiled a list of differences between the existing test and the trial.

Currently both "show me" and "tell me" questions are asked at the beginning of the test. However in the trial test "tell me" questions are asked at the beginning, and "show me" questions are asked whilst the learner is driving.

For the existing test there is 10 minutes of what is called independent driving. This is where the learner has to drive using traffic signs or verbal directions. In the trial test this has been increased to 20 minutes and includes the use of a satnav instead of the verbal directions.

Finally  in the current test a driver must complete one manoeuvres: reverse around the corner, turn in the road, reverse parking or parallel parking. But in the trial test they have to complete one of the following manoeuvres: drive in to and reverse out of a parking bay, pull up on the right, reverse and re-join the traffic or reverse parking.

I for one think that the trial test along with the driving lessons that go with it, teach a new driver to be prepared for everyday situations that the current test does not place enough emphasis on. Either way, I look forward to finding out later on this year if the test will be changing!

Comments